You probably think you know where you stand with your car. That window which squeaks a bit when it’s been raining, the left-hand speaker which needs a little nudge to get going, and the cup-holder which fails to successfully hold any size of cup. Yep, you spend a lot of time in your car, and you know it inside out… but we bet there’s a few things you don’t know when it comes to cars too. And you won't learn them in your driving lessons. If you don’t believe us, here are 13 of them:
1. Saab’s on board computer lets you play ping pong
What’s the most essential bit of kit you need in your car? Voice activation? An in-built sat nav? Or perhaps even parking cameras? Nope, according to Saab it’s a good old fashioned game of table tennis.
2. The average car is made up of 30,000 parts
It turns out it’s not just a case of windows, doors, windscreen, job done. There’s a lot of work which goes into building a car, and there’s around 30,000 little bits which you need to make it work. That’s the equivalent of 6,000 cars full of people.
3. Volkswagens are posher than you think
Because they actually own Lamborghini, Bugatti, Bentley, Audi, Porsche and a number of other car manufacturers. Which, essentially, means your VW Lupo is a bit like a Lambo. Congrats!
4. The first speeding ticket was issued in 1902
That’s just one year after Queen Victoria died, and, at the time, cars could only go about 45mph.
5. Hitler tried to invent buying a car on finance
Because, in 1924, he phoned Mercedes up from his prison cell to beg them for a car loan. It seems Hitler didn’t have enough cash in the bank for the Merc he wanted, but if you don’t ask, you don’t get…
6. There are 1 billion cars being used in the world
And there’s just over 7 billion people in the world. That is one hell of a traffic jam.
7. And speaking of traffic jams, Brits spend 960 hours sitting in them every year
There’s 8,765 hours in a year, which means we’re spending over 10% of our time sitting in traffic jams playing crap games of I spy.
8. Steve Jobs never had a number plate
Because a Californian loophole meant he could get away with not having one… and it was totally legal.
9. You can fit 19 people in a smart car
Admittedly, this is only true if they’re skinny and flexible, but who would want to see a bunch of fat blokes trying to squeeze themselves into a smart car anyway?
10. 90% of us can’t resist a sing song behind the wheel
So whether it’s a bit of Beyonce or a spot of Barry Manilow you’re into, your car is the place to sing your heart out. And you can be safe in the knowledge that 9 out of 10 drivers around you will be doing the same.
11. It would take you six months to drive to the moon
That’s assuming you were driving 60mph and it was possible to drive straight upwards through space.
12. Albanians love Mercedes Benzs’
In fact, 8 out of 10 cars registered in Albania are Mercs. That’s a lot of Mercedes’!
13. In China, you can pay £38 for someone else to drive your car through a traffic jam
If you don’t have time to sit and wait in a jam, you can pay someone else to sit there for you whilst you’re whisked away on the back of a motorbike. Unfortunately this is not currently an option in the UK, so prepare to sit and wait.